Sunday, September 26, 2010

Democracy Fail

I think I mentioned a few posts ago that we had an election, that was a complete fail, and we had no parliament for weeks. We now have a government, which I suppose is a good thing, but I feel completely gibed of democracy.

In Australia it is compulsory to vote. Some question the validity of a democracy where you are forced to vote, I question to validity of a country where not every adult has had a say. If you can't be bother to go and vote, you don't know who is choosing for you and you end up with a horrible president that the masses complain about who was voted in by a select few. How is that democracy?

On election day, which is ONE day, not different days for different states (again this just makes sense to me) you head down to the local Primary School, Childcare Centre, Church or Hall that is a polling booth and get your name crossed of the electral role. It is pretty easy to go to different polling booths and say that No I haven't voted at another venue in my electric or go and absentee vote (so yes I see the democracy fail there). They don't even check your ID so it is possible to go and vote for someone else whose name, address DOB you can recite if questioned (Just like memorizing the details of your fake ID). Surly it is time to have some kind of real time computer system to curb this problem.

What happened this year is a huge mass of people decided to donkey vote. Either filling out the forms incorrectly or adding "funny" boxes to the ballot like "Kevin Rudd" who is out outed previous PM (overthrown by some backstabbing ranga from his own party....who has the same policies but will somehow be a better leader) or "Bart Simpson".

Because of these people we had no government for a while. One party did receive more votes but they would not give them the power, they allowed independents to choose sides and form the government. Through this process we have a government. This was not the government that the majority of the people wanted, effectively TWO PEOPLE voted in the election. This is a complete democracy fail!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello commenters of the world.
Feel free to speak your mind and have some fun with me. I'll try write back where I can.
Decent humans only though- no abuse! If you don't fit this criteria I probably don't need you reading my blog anyway!